Tag Archives: Love

Kusama at Whitney Museum

28 Jul

About the show

Leila’s Hair Museum

13 Jun

Leila’s Hair Museum is the only hair museum in the world, boasting over 500 hair wreaths and over 2000 pieces of jewelry made of human hair. There is no exact date that can be pinpointed as to when and where hair art began, but it is known to have flourished in the Victorian times and can be traced back to the 12th century. Many pieces were for a memorial purpose; however this art form was also used as a keepsake of a loved one before cameras were invented. Hair was a token of love in these times as well as a remembrance of someone who passed away. The tradition of giving a lock of hair goes back hundreds, and even thousands of years and can be traced from different cultures as well as different time periods. Reliquaries are an example of this, and contain crushed bone fragments, hair or blood of a person. The oldest brooch in the museum, with a piece of hair enclosed in a crystal case, was made in 1680. It arrived in the United States in the 1800s through a family in Sweden. The gentleman, who was the last of his bloodline, sold the brooch to the museum so future generations could admire the masterpiece. There are neckpieces called sepia, which is a scene, painted with pulverized hair. There is one sepia piece that is a weeping willow tree made from a young woman’s hair who passed away at the age of 25. The scene of her husband weeping at her grave is painted with hair. When hair is pulverized into powder it can be mixed with paint and used as a medium for painting scenes. Each piece of jewelry in the museum tells a story of why it was made. Sometimes it will have the name of the person as well as their birth date and death date. Other times, it will include many names and be used as a family tree for genealogy purposes in a wreath form.

The museum boasts some rare pieces of Americana. One such is a mourning brooch that contains a lock of hair from the great American statesman Daniel Webster, who many believe, played an important role in the forging of the United States of America. The brooch has 32 seed pearls around the woven locks of hair. The reverse is engraved “Daniel Webster Oct. 24, 1852” (the date of his death). The hair wreaths, many in their original frames (hand carved or made of leather), are considered pieces of art. Families build their hair wreaths in a horseshoe shape so that more could be added as the family grew. There is even a wreath made using the hair of members of the League of Women Voters, dated 1865. The pieces described above are only a fraction of what the museum contains. Many more wreaths, watch fobs, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, chains, brooches, hat pins, postcards, cuff links, rings, bookmarks, buttons, pictures and other interesting items made from human hair can be found. Leila enjoys wearing the jewelry and says she continues to increase her collection through donations, antique dealers, garage sales, auctions, estate sales, and people contacting her when they have heard of the museum through the media. Media about the museum can be found in countless magazines, newspapers, books and television news reports. It is known as a rare find worldwide.

1333 S Noland Rd / Independence, Missouri 64055 / USA

About the museum

Post published thanks to my friend and researcher Karolina Bujnowicz

Masumiyet Müzesi is open to public!

6 May

‘When we lose people we love, we should never disturb their souls, whether living or dead. Instead. we should find consolation in an object that reminds you of them, something…I don’t know…even an earring’
Orhan PamukThe Museum of Innocence

The Museum of Innocence is both a novel by Orhan Pamuk and a museum he has set up. From the very beginnings of the project, since the 1990s, Pamuk has conceived of novel and museum together. The novel, which is about love, is set between 1974 and the early ’00s, and describes life in Istanbul between 1950 and 2000 through memories and flashbacks centred around two families – one wealthy, the other lower middle class. The museum presents what the novel’s characters used, wore, heard, saw, collected and dreamed of, all meticulously arranged in boxes and display cabinets. It is not essential to have read the book in order to enjoy the museum, just as it is not necessary to have visited the museum in order to fully enjoy the book. But those who have read the novel will better grasp the many connotations of the museum, and those who have visited the museum will discover many nuances they had missed when reading the book. The novel was published in 2008, the museum opens in Spring 2012.

See the prevoius post:  The museum that was written down 

Museum site